For many companies and entrepreneurs just starting out, it can be difficult to predict if an idea for a product will get accepted in the consumer market – especially since that product can make or break your success in whatever industry you are in. This is where 3D printing comes into play. 3D printing (also called additive manufacturing) is having a positive impact on product design and manufacturing. This evolving technology is changing the way how things are being made and how business is being done. It is predicted that a large range of industries will be using 3D printing within the next decade.
How Can 3D Printing Help With Product Design
When it comes to designing a completely new product, 3D printing should be used at multiple points throughout the design process, with the result of prototypes being constantly made. This is a great way to test the product out. Here are some ways 3D printing can help with product design:
- It is a learning process. Something new can be learned with the design process of every product. This leads to two 3D printing processes never being the same.
- It makes it possible to see the products to scale, as well as hold them and feel their diameter and height – this makes it easier to figure out if you are on the right track with the form and function of your product.
- It can help your business understand as closely as possible how customers will interact with their products.
Advantages of 3D Printing in Product Design
3D printing in product design can streamline the manufacturing and increase the approval of customer’s right on the first release. Some other advantages of 3D printing in product design are:
- Design intricate designs that can be immediately manufacturable.
- Deliver lightweight parts (especially for aircraft) that meet and/or exceed weight to strength requirements.
- Increase the speed of product design and production from months to mere days.
- Offers the benefits of responding quickly to product change requests.
- Can deliver unique and custom solutions to customers if needed.
- Risk is reduced when you test a design before investing in its manufacturing.
- You can design and redesign a product over and over without any extra cost.
3D printing helps reimagine product design, while streamlining productions and giving businesses and entrepreneurs the ability to design products their way.